Thursday, July 1, 2010

am I a terrible, no-good rotten human being for looking forward to alcohol consumption as a means to develop my social life?

exhibit A: I am THE ONLY employee at my hotel that is not 21. do you know how draining that is? do you know how often I hear about my coworkers going to bars and clubs and having a drink after work? do you know how much I miss out on? THEY don't even know. they forget, constantly, that I'm still three months away. they go, "oh that's RIIIIGHT, you're not 21 yet, are you?" and then I sit at home with a diet coke and a box of cheez-its and family guy reruns while they spend a night on the town.

exhibit B: I'm sure I will be happier about this later, I know I will, when all my friends turn 30 before me, or get a gray hair before me, or whatever. but I'm also the absolute youngest member of my group of friends. by far. so more than half of the people I grew up with and with whom I have always spent my free time now have a social life that is far outside anything I've ever experienced... wine tastings, pub crawls, happy hour, cocktails, just the FACT that their night doesn't end when the movie theater or mall closes means so much.

my parents aren't drinkers at all, and I really don't plan on being one either, but the fact stands that at my age a lot of social interaction depends on the ability to legally enter a bar or dance club or what have you without needing to be snuck in or have a fake ID or some nonsense. and frankly, I cannot WAIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers